Top 3 Skincare Mistakes and How to Fix Them
Are you giving your face the care it deserves? Although some aging and skin problems are inevitable, how you care for your skin each day can help you have the best skin possible – or can increase your difficulties.
Make sure you’re not guilty of these skincare blunders. And if you have been doing them, there’s good news – we’ll tell you how to correct them.
Mistake #1: Not Exfoliating
If you haven’t been using an exfoliating product regularly, your skin isn’t meeting its full potential. As we age, our skin’s natural process of shedding excess cells begins to slow down. This can lead to dullness, breakouts, and uneven skin tone. The two types of exfoliants are:
- Alpha hydroxy acid (glycolic acid): This exfoliant targets signs of aging such as fine lines, discoloration, and roughness. It gently sloughs off the top layer of skin to reveal newer, fresher skin beneath.
- Beta hydroxy acid (salicylic acid): This ingredient penetrates oil in the pores, helping to combat breakouts and shrink pore size. It reduces redness and inflammation in existing pimples.
Some people find that they need only one of these products while others benefit from both. Whichever you choose, exfoliating regularly will give you smoother, more radiant skin.
These hydroxy acids are available as over the counter preparations, under different commercial brands, and although their names maybe different, they all produce a very limited and superficial level of exfoliation. Dr. Siegel’s skin care line is designed to penetrate deeper into the skin, resulting in a more comprehensive exfoliation and improved skin texture, as compared to commercial preparations.
Mistake #2: Using Drying Acne Products
If you’re dealing with acne breakouts as an adult, you’re not alone. Thousands of men and women experience this issue well beyond the teenage years. That doesn’t mean you should use products meant for teenagers on your adult skin, however.
Today, there are products that are just as effective for clearing adult acne without harsh, irritating ingredients that could make your skin dry or even make your breakouts worse. Follow these tips for clear, smooth skin:
- Remove your makeup each night and use a gentle cleanser designed for the face.
- onsider an alcohol-free salicylic acid product to exfoliate and clear breakouts.
- f you use benzoyl peroxide, choose a lower concentration, such as 2.5 percent. It’s just as effective as the stronger products without the side effects.
- Choose a quality oil-free moisturizer to use on top of your acne treatment to help combat any dryness and flaking.
Mistake #3: Skimping on Sunscreen
Do you only wear sunscreen when you’re headed to the beach? Time to change that approach. The sun’s UV rays can penetrate clouds and windows, damaging your skin any day of the year. Even if you’re only going out for a few minutes, sun damage and skin cancer risk accumulate little by little each day.
Today’s sunscreen options are numerous – and you don’t have to settle for a product that feels sticky or greasy. Elegant formulations are available that look and feel great under your makeup. Make it a necessary part of your morning routine.
Skin Rejuvenation Options
Despite our best efforts, sometimes the skin needs a little extra help to look its best. Non-invasive options such as dermal fillers and peels can give you that extra boost you need to look younger without surgery. For more information about which of these procedures might benefit you, contact Dr. Siegel today!