IPL, or a pulsed light photofacial, is a quick procedure to rejuvenate the skin with little to no downtime. IPL stands for ‘Intense Pulsed Light’. Rather than a laser, this treatment selectively applies light to revitalize the skin without causing any of the side effects associated with laser or chemical peels.
What are the benefits of photofacial treatments?
There are numerous advantages to having an IPL photofacial. The exact benefits you experience will depend on your unique skin condition, medical background, and cosmetic preferences. However, some of the most common merits of a photofacial include:
- Minimal recovery time. Particularly when compared with other facial anti-aging treatments, IPL photofacials revitalize your skin while allowing you to get back to your life and daily activities very quickly.
- An affordable price. In part because they are so minimally invasive, photofacial treatments also tend to be less costly, making them more economical.
- Tighter, smoother skin. An IPL photofacial can encourage your body to naturally produce more collagen.
- Fewer wrinkles. Photofacial skin rejuvenation can diminish the appearance of fine lines throughout your face.
- More even pigmentation. Patients with rosacea, dark spots, sun spots, and other types of discoloration often benefit from an IPL photofacial.
- Clearer skin. A photofacial may help reduce the appearance and occurrence of blemishes.
- The possibility for complementary procedures. Since IPL photofacials are so non-invasive, they can easily be combined with other facial rejuvenation methods such as laser or chemical peels, BOTOX®, injectables, and skin tightening.
These are just some of the many benefits an IPL photofacial can offer. Dr. Siegel will discuss what this treatment can offer you in-depth at your initial consultation.
How long does it take to see results from a photofacial?
This depends on your specific situation and the treatment plan Dr. Siegel customizes for you. You may be able to see some results immediately. Often, however, the skin looks slightly worse or more discolored for several weeks, as the body gets rid of the most superficial layer of dead or damaged skin cells. Most patients are able to fully see their photofacial outcomes within two to three weeks, when the lower levels of tissue become more visible. At your first appointment, Dr. Siegel will provide a detailed explanation of the results, as well as a timeline you can expect from your personalized photofacial procedure.
Can I wear makeup after a photofacial?
You can apply makeup directly after an IPL photofacial treatment, but it is best not to. Since makeup can be irritating to the skin, Dr. Siegel typically recommends trying to avoid it for at least 12 to 24 hours following this procedure. This will help your skin heal more quickly and reduce your risk for irritation following your photofacial treatment. Dr. Siegel can give you more specific, personalized recommendations regarding photofacial aftercare and makeup at your initial consultation.