Restylane® is a dermal filler made from hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance that is already present in your body. Hyaluronic acid is an important part of keeping skin firm.
How long does it take for Restylane® injections to work?
Most patients begin to see the effects of Restylane® treatments immediately following injection. Some patients experience relatively mild side effects following injection, which can obscure some of the plumping and tightening results from this treatment. In addition, Restylane® may continue to bind and attract water molecules for about two weeks following initial injection. You will most likely see Restylane® beginning to work right after your injection, but the full effect of the treatment is usually fully visible after approximately two weeks.
What are the most common uses for Restylane® injections?
Given his expertise in facial anatomy and cosmetic procedures, Dr. Siegel utilizes different Restylane® techniques to provide patient-specific enhancements and adjustments. These include:
- Lip augmentation: Siegel uses Restylane® lip injections to give patients fuller, more sensuous mouths. Restylane® typically produces a more pronounced mouth or a soft, pouting look without surgical intervention. When performing lip augmentation with Restylane® lip fillers, Dr. Siegel injects it into the inside of the upper and/or lower lip. He often combines this with a Restylane® injection along the edge of the lips for an even more youthful and natural appearance. Often the physician will massage the Restylane® to ensure it is evenly distributed, avoiding a bumpy, unnatural look. Dr. Siegel is always extremely careful to make sure both sides of the mouth are symmetrical after the procedure.
- Tear-trough fill: Restylane® injections can help add volume to and soften even the most pronounced tear troughs, which are deep grooves between the lower eyelid and the cheek.
- Anti-aging: While facial plastic surgery like a face lift can help tighten the skin and BOTOX® Cosmetic can relax the facial muscles to release dynamic wrinkles, only Restylane® can restore volume lost with aging. Increased volume can create facial fullness and symmetry, enhance certain facial features, and diminish signs of aging.
- Smile and forehead lines and wrinkles: Siegel can use Restylane® to decrease both the horizontal lines across your forehead and the vertical lines between your eyebrows. These creases form as a normal part of the process of aging and losing skin volume. Restylane® can produce a face lift-like effect, making smile lines and forehead lines less visible, thereby refreshing the face.
- Acne scar treatment and removal: One of the best uses of Restylane® is to fill and remove either shallow or deep pockmarks from severe acne. To perform this procedure, Dr. Siegel injects Restylane® into the area of the scar, filling and smoothing the surface of the depression. After Restylane® treatment, your skin will be smooth and your scars will become significantly less visible.
- Nose enhancement: Siegel is known as the nose doctor in Houston due to his skill in rhinoplasty (plastic surgery for the nose). He can also use Restylane® to correct asymmetry in the nose, augment your bridge, fill dents, and provide other cosmetic improvements.
These are the most common uses for Restylane® injections at our Houston office. You can enjoy the benefits of one, several, or all of these applications. Dr. Siegel will discuss the particular uses that are most appropriate for your face at your initial consultation.
Does Restylane® help stimulate collagen production?
Studies have demonstrated that repeated use of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers like Restylane® can cause your body to naturally begin producing more collagen. This may further enhance your results and lengthen the effects of your treatment each time you have a Restylane® injection. However, these results may vary from patient to patient. Dr. Siegel can help you better understand the effect Restylane® could have on your unique facial structure and appearance at your first appointment.