How To Minimize Pores
- All Categories
- Fillers, Injectables, and Lasers
- Procedures for Men
Pores are essential for the normal function of our skin, so they must be a little confused by the almost universal hatred directed towards them. Particularly large or unsightly pores, however, are valid targets for treatment.
What Are Pores?
We have two different types of pores: sweat pores and oil pores. Only oil pores are visible to the naked eye. Also known as “hair follicles”, these oil pores are responsible for delivering healthy oil to our skin. When they are functioning properly, dead skin cells and waste oil are flushed out naturally. But when pores malfunction, they can become enlarged and unattractive. All acne-related blemishes, ranging from blackheads to whiteheads, also have their origin in a blockage of your pores.
Causes Of Large/Blocked Pores
One of the major determinants of large or blocked pores is genetics. If you’re genetically predisposed to acne, you’ll need to work harder to tame your pores and keep your skin clear.
Another causative factor is having unclean or oily skin. Oily skin can be caused by things like stress, hormone fluxes, or excessive/prolonged use of makeup.
When skin is sun-damaged, it may become thicker than normal, and this can accentuate the size of your pores. So although some people avoid sunscreen as a way to prevent clogged pores, this may catch up with them in the end; it’s always better to think of the long-term health of your skin!
How To Deal With Pores
There are many simple methods for preventing or reducing pores, and these should be your first port-of-call. Try to limit your use of cosmetics, and be sure to cleanse your skin regularly (without aggravating it through overly frequent or vigorous scrubbing). Exfoliators, masks, and peels can also improve your skin’s appearance.
If you’re suffering from a chronic pore problem, there are a number of more thorough treatments available:
- Laser Peels – Also known as “Laser Skin Resurfacing”. There are many different types of cosmetic laser out there, each with its own purpose. An experienced facial plastic surgeon will be able to choose the right laser for your specific skin type. Modern innovations have reduced recovery time and increased the effectiveness of this treatment.
- Vampire Facials – Don’t let the name scare you! Vampire facials utilize your body’s natural healing systems, improving the overall appearance of your skin, and reducing or eliminating acne scars and unsightly pores.
- Chemical Peels – Another effective treatment for problem pores, chemical peels range from “light” to “deep”. Dr. Siegel worked with a small pharmaceutical company to create a painless, acid-free peel that exfoliates the skin and increases elasticity.
- IPL Photofacial – Although photofacials are an effective treatment for more superficial skin problems, it isn’t the treatment of choice for minimizing pores.
The best treatment plan depends on your specific skin type, as well as what exactly is causing your enlarged pores. To learn more about which treatment is right for you, contact Dr. Siegel today!
People travel from across the US and the world for an improved look by Dr. Siegel, but many are right here in the Houston area. We often see patients from Cypress, Spring, Bellaire, Sugar Land, Fulshear, Humble, Katy, and other nearby communities. We also see many patients from other areas in Texas, including Austin, San Antonio, Dallas-Fort Worth, Midland, Odessa, to name a few. Wherever you are, we look forward to helping you achieve your best look.
Call 832-358-322 or use the form below.