Common Misconceptions About Laser Hair Removal
- All Categories
- Fillers, Injectables, and Lasers
- Procedures for Men
Unwanted or excess hair can be troublesome to deal with. Shaving is inconvenient and waxing is often uncomfortable. Fortunately, modern technology makes long-lasting smooth skin much simpler to achieve! According to the 2014 report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, more than 1.1 million people underwent this procedure in 2014, making it the third most popular nonsurgical cosmetic treatment. With an increase of 51 percent since 2000, more and more people are learning about the benefits of laser hair removal. However, as with any relatively new treatment, there are many myths about this procedure. Dr. Michel Siegel and our team regularly perform laser hair removal at our Houston practice, so we know the ins and outs of this advanced, minimally invasive treatment. Below, we explain laser hair removal and debunk common misconceptions about it!
What is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal involves using precise, powerful pulses of light to adjust your follicles such that they can no longer grow hair. Dr. Siegel and our team use the sophisticated LightSheer® DUET™ Laser from Lumenis® to perform this procedure. When you come in for your appointment, you should have trimmed your hair in the treatment regions so we can accurately target each follicle. We will point the carefully calibrated laser at your skin and gradually move it to modify each and every follicle. This process typically takes fewer than 15 minutes to complete.
Who is a Candidate?
Most patients are eligible for laser hair removal. You may qualify for this treatment if you:
- Have unwanted hair
- Do not smoke
- Do not have permanent makeup or tattoos in your treatment region
- Are in good overall health
- Do not have a history of abnormal scarring
- Are not pregnant or nursing
- Are not currently using certain types of topical skin products (Dr. Siegel can discuss your particular skin regimen with you before you undergo laser hair removal to determine if you may need to change it)
- Are at least 13 years old
- Do not suffer from skin diseases or disorders such as psoriasis in the desired treatment area
- Have realistic expectations about your results
At your initial consultation, Dr. Siegel will examine your skin, go over your medical records, and discuss your expectations with you to determine if you are a good candidate for laser hair removal.
Laser Hair Removal Fact and Fiction
Most likely, not everything you’ve heard about laser hair removal is true. Below, we’ll go over and dispel some of the most common misconceptions about this treatment:
- It always requires multiple appointments. Depending on the location of your treatment area, the texture of your hair, skin type, and other factors, you may need just one session of laser hair removal treatment to achieve your desired outcomes. Some patients may need several visits to complete treatment.
- Laser hair removal is just for body hair. Not true! As a facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Siegel uses this treatment to help his patients with overly bushy eyebrows, unwanted lip hair, and feminine facial hair. Of course, we can also use it to smoothen your legs, bikini region, or underarms.
- It is uncomfortable and burns. In most cases, laser hair removal doesn’t require topical anesthesia. During your treatment, we’ll use our ChillTip continuous contact cooling system to prevent stinging or burning. Most patients also do not experience discoloration, irritation or swelling after treatment.
- You have to have certain hair and skin colors to be a candidate for laser hair removal. Laser hair removal is ideal for patients whose skin and hair color are different from each other, but with Dr. Siegel’s expertise and our state-of-the-art laser, we can help all qualified patients enjoy smoother skin!
Schedule Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
Do you want to enjoy the simplicity and beauty of smooth skin? To learn more about laser hair removal or schedule your appointment, contact Houston plastic surgery office today.
People travel from across the US and the world for an improved look by Dr. Siegel, but many are right here in the Houston area. We often see patients from Cypress, Spring, Bellaire, Sugar Land, Fulshear, Humble, Katy, and other nearby communities. We also see many patients from other areas in Texas, including Austin, San Antonio, Dallas-Fort Worth, Midland, Odessa, to name a few. Wherever you are, we look forward to helping you achieve your best look.
Call 832-358-322 or use the form below.