What is the best age for a facelift?
Facelifts are one of the most popular services available in cosmetic surgery, giving a more youthful appearance with dramatic reductions to the visible signs of aging throughout the face and the neck. But unlike other popular cosmetic procedures, facelifts seem to be most appealing and prevalent among a rather specific, albeit growing, subset of the population. According to the most recent statistics available from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, facelifts cosmetic surgeries divide as follows by age:
- For ages 20 to 29, 345 people got facelifts, making up 0% of total facelifts for the year.
- For ages 30 to 39, 1,889 people got facelifts, making up 2% of total facelifts for the year.
- For ages 40 to 54, 39,263 people got facelifts, making up 32% of total facelifts for the year.
- For ages 55 and over, 80,034 people got facelifts, making up 66% of total facelifts for the year, while the facelift was one of the top 5 most popular procedures for this demographic.
These detailed breakdowns can be helpful in determining if a facelift is suitable for you, considering your current age. That being said, the personal motivations for getting a facelift are numerous, so here are some additional factors to take into consideration:
Emotions: Emotional choices can lead a person to make changes that can leave lingering regrets in the future, so reasoned and rational thinking is encouraged: take some time out for yourself and consider your choice from various aspects. A choice like this is best not influenced by a single factor, but by a confluence of pertinent issues.
Expenses: Cosmetic surgery is effective but could involve a greater financial outlay than your typical expense.
Expectations: A facelift may or may not lead to increased popularity or acceptance. The need to look like someone else may or may not be fulfilled by having a facelift, as there are a plethora of factors that make someone’s face different from another’s. It’s important to go into any cosmetic surgery with reasonable expectations of the outcome. Facelifts can be an effective and excellent means of tackling, reducing or eliminating:
- Skin laxity of the face causing sagging or wrinkles
- Deep fold lines between the nose and corner of the mouth
- Sagging appearance of the cheeks
- Excess skin at the jawline
- Jowls developing in the cheeks and jaw
- Sagging skin and excess fat in the neck
We hope the information above is helpful in determining the best age to get a facelift. Statistically speaking, the vast majority of persons getting facelifts are over 55 years of age, yet there are still thousands upon thousands of others getting facelifts at ages as young as 40, and loving the results and outcome for years or decades to come. Providing you are over 18 or the respective legal age and are a candidate for a facelift based on current physiology, we would be very pleased to serve you!